Exclusive Interview with Kevin Eleven: Author of Frankly Twisted - The Lost Files - Blaber Blogger

Latest News

Exclusive Interview with Kevin Eleven: Author of Frankly Twisted - The Lost Files

    

 Kevin Eleven whose real name is Kevin Anglade, was raised in New York City to Haitian immigrant parents. He published his debut novel Tales of the 23RD PRECINCT through his independent publishing company, Flowered Concrete, in January of 2013. In spring 2014, he graduated from Brooklyn College with a BA in English while concentrating in literature. In America, he has been covered in publications such as Brooklyn Buzz and DNA INFO (New York). Moreover, in May of 2014, he was featured on NBC, Channel 4's final season of The Debrief with David Ushery as he spoke upon his indie press, Flowered Concrete, and its endeavors as an up-and-coming small publisher. When not writing or fulfilling Flowered Concrete related duties, Kevin usually likes to spend his down time reading, playing basketball, listening to music, performing poetry at lounges/cafes throughout NYC or spending time learning about life and nature as much as he possibly can.
  
     Kevin, is releasing his second book of his trilogy, ‘Frankly Twisted: The Lost Files’, later today, 21st July, 2015 which acts as a prequel to his previous book ‘Tales of the 23rd Precinct.’
      So let’s catch up with Mr. Kevin Eleven in this interview where he would talk about his new book Frankly Twisted: The Lost Files.



   Hello Kevin, let us begin the interview by talking about your new upcoming book Frankly TWISTED: The Lost Files, which will be published on 21st July. Tell us something about the book?



Sure thing. Well, the book is the second in a trilogy of three detective fiction novels. It’s actually a prequel as it jumps in between several time periods to deliver certain perspectives of multiple story lines that somehow tie in together.


You’ve already published your debut novel and run an independent publishing company, Flowered Concrete. How did it all start?    


It all started back in the fall of 2011. At the time I was a sophomore in college and I happened to come across this detective-fiction creative writing class. My professor at the time wanted us to write a short-story about a private investigator dealing with a crime of any kind. However, I had never written anything creatively a day in my life. And so, long story short, I fell in love with creative writing, and suddenly I had an epiphany about not only publishing myself, but to publish others as well, and that’s how Flowered Concrete came about. And since then, I haven’t looked back.


Did you always want to become a writer and what inspired you to be one?


No, not at all. I wanted to be an actor, actually. That was my first love and it’s something that I truly enjoyed because I studied theater in community college. If I had to say what inspired me to become a writer, I would definitely have to say my creative writing class as well as my professor, Dr. Jean Murley. I owe it all to her because that class changed my life in a blink of an eye.


Frankly Twisted and your previous books are all detective fiction novels. What is that draws you to this genre and is there any authors who inspired you to be inclined to this genre? 


First of all, the stark vividness of the stories move me more than anything. The way they are told, and the way they all rattle in suspense while having an ever subtle persona of cinematic flair. It all intrigued me and still does to this day.


There are lots of bestselling novels that are adopted into films. What’s your say on that?


Because people want to see things visually. One of the reasons as to why movies or film (I should say) will never be an outdated medium or form of entertainment is because people like to visualize things more than place their face in between a book. It’s easier, and if done right it’s aesthetically pleasing to the eye.


If your novel Frankly TWISTED was adapted into a movie, which actor/actresses would you like seeing playing the lead characters? For instance, I personally as a reader found the characters of Deborah Lane and Luke Fisher to be really interesting. 


Hmmm…Great question. If I had to pick some actors and actresses, I would love to see Idris Elba play Frank Matthews. He can be very badass at times and I honestly think that Zoe Saldana would make a great Detective Lane. She’s played in a few action flicks as well and I think she’d be great for the role.


Your book cover is really interesting and artistic. How did it come about and who designed it?


Thank you for asking that. I’m always willing to share the spotlight in everything that I do and I think that it’s very important that he gets his shine. The book cover was designed by my business partner and very close friend by the name of Alton Taylor. He works with me at Flowered Concrete as he is our in-house art director/designer/illustrator. He oversees every artistic direction of all of our published books. He is also an author as well as he has published two books under the company with one on the way this upcoming winter.


Since the books that you’ve written is part of a series, I would like to ask your personal opinion on the recent release on Harper Lee’s new book ‘Go Set A Watchman’ which is a sequel to ‘To Kill A Mocking’ coming out after 45 years which also broke the record of being Amazon’s ‘Most Pre-ordered Book’ since the final book of Harry Potter.

Excellent question. Honestly speaking, after reading some of the reviews and editorials on it, I really think that the only reason we have a book from Harper Lee all of these years later is for profit and monetary gain. The reason I am thinking this currently is because one of the main character’s named Atticus Finch who was a lawyer in the first book, is best known for defending Tom Robinson. The black man who was accused of raping the white woman. In the first book, Atticus displayed outstanding morality and great integrity, however, in the new book, he is bitter and racist. That would never happen in real life. There’s no way that a grown man who has been functioning honorably and greatly in his adulthood devolves and becomes a deplorable excuse of a person. I’m really puzzled as to why they would do that. This new book should have never been published and I mean that in the nicest way possible.


What do you think is the major advantage and disadvantage of self-publishing?


I think its major advantage is that you are in full control of everything that happens in regards to your work. Therefore, if you have an overall vision that spans in different places of your project, then this kind of publishing is definitely for you. The one major disadvantage is your lack of resources. No matter how much flack big publishers get, at the end of the day, they still have great amounts of money that we all wish we had, hence, more resources, more connections, more publicity, marketing, as well as opportunity.


What do you think about ‘trailers’ for books? Do you have one or intend to create one?


I think that trailers for books are great! They add a very nice and succinct touch. And to answer your second question, yes, I do have a trailer for Frankly TWISTED. Readers, if interested, can check it out on YouTube or our Flowered Concrete website.


What do you think about literary awards?


I think that literary awards are necessary. Not only do they give your work credibility, but they also provide visibility which is good because sometimes, all it takes is just one simple notice that can lead to many.


If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?


The Harry Potter franchise because I’d be wealthy. I mean J.K. Rowling must sleep in a bed full of money, haha. Also, because who wouldn’t want to be the master and creator of world such as Harry Potter? I honestly think that that is every creative writer’s dream!


I personally as an interviewer and a blogger, am based in India, which has the world’s largest population of English speakers with huge potential readership. What do you think about India, readers from India and how can they get access to your book. Frankly TWISTED? 


Man, I’ll say it like this. Since I’m based in America, I had no clue how big India’s readership was. I’m really happy to know that there are tons of book lovers out there. Also, if readers over there want access to my book, they can do so by visiting India’s local Amazon website.


How do you market your books and any tips for authors on that?


I market my book’s by creating a world and also multi-layers to go along with it. For example, this time around, I created a magazine to go along with my book and inside the magazine are visuals and bonus information that readers won’t get from just reading one of my books. They have to seek the information and we (Flowered Concrete) always present it to them once we feel that the time is right.


What do you think about good and bad reviews?


I think they’re important. Good reviews lure in potential readers, and bad reviews give you credibility. It lets people know that many readers have a varying taste in opinion.


What’s your view on social media for marketing?


I think that social media is the “it” factor for all of your marketing purposes. Nine times out of ten, if you were to ask someone where did they find the information they needed to live and exist within the realms of the world, most likely they’d tell you social media.


Where do you see yourself in the next five years?


In five years I see myself as an established writer that has the ability to set trends and influences in various or better yet, most places all over the world. I really hope that by that time, all I have to do is publish something and readers will flock to it, because as of right now, I’m putting in as much work as an army preparing for war when it comes to publishing my books.


If you have to give one good reason why one should go get a copy of Frankly Twisted, what would it be?


One good reason as to why people should pick up a copy of Frankly TWISTED is because of its originality. I don’t think that there’s ever been a police procedural in which the second book in its series is a prequel instead of the sequel. Also, each chapter within the novel is like its own story which gives the overall presentation a unique perspective.


Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?


I would just like to say thank you Nischal Gurung for featuring my novel on your blog and for taking the time out to interview me as a writer. And also, I would like to say if you order and read Frankly TWISTED please be sure to leave a review on Amazon if possible and to also connect with me and provide feedback. I’m always open to suggestions and just talking in general. Anyone interested in directly connecting with me can do so by e-mailing me at floweredconcrete@gmail.com


How can readers discover more about you and your work?


Readers can do so by visiting my blog as well as visiting the official Flowered Concrete website at www.floweredconcrete.net


Catch up with Kevin Eleven on the web:
Website - Blog - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Linkedin - 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now its your TURN.
Is there anything you want to say about the post above? Do let me know by leaving your valuable comments in the comment box below. Thank you!

Blaber Blogger Designed by Nischal Gurung Copyright © 2016

Theme images by Bim. Powered by Blogger.